general web

Troubleshooting Unicode in the Khan Academy exercise framework

I started playing around with Khan Academy’s exercise framework. If I am successful in figuring this out sufficiently, the efforts would be applied for teaching a foreign language (Thamil) rather than teaching math. I had gotten the basic case figured out — a single-question, question-answer exercise. From there, I inserted Thamil characters and saved the HTML doc into UTF-16 encoding, and by then, I experienced serious errors. Fortunately, it didn’t take much more than learning the basics of Unicode and a little poking around to figure it out, fix the issue, and get a better understanding of how it all fits together.